Status prepares for Launch!
“2019 cemented the shift in thinking from Status as a standalone product to The Status Network as a whole open source peer-to-peer tech stack, building decentralized technologies ranging from protocol-level infrastructure to consumer apps.
- The final countdown is on, with v1 of the mobile app due for launch by the end of Q1.
- Users can register their desired ENS username seamlessly and directly in the app, with the ENS name now appearing as the display name in chat.
- dap.ps is a curated list of DApps that relies on a unique economic mechanism to rank information without any centralized authority benefiting.
- Teller is our DApp allowing people to exchange fiat for crypto in their locale.
- Sticker Market offers a marketplace for artists and creators to upload and monetize their sticker design work.
- Keycard is a secure, contactless, open source, hardwallet. We also developed a prototype of a simple Android app that bridges Keycard with WalletConnect to connect to a mobile wallet.
- We’re also laying the foundations for an open source payment network. Any phone running Status will become a permissionless point of sales accepting payments with crypto debit cards. The first demo of this will drop in Q2 2020.”
See Also: Optimistic Virtual Machine Alpha
“Speaking during a hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, Mnuchin said FinCEN, the nation’s financial crimes watchdog, is preparing to roll out some “significant new requirements” around cryptocurrencies, though he did not provide any further detail.
We want to make sure that technology moves forward but, on the other hand, we want to make sure that cryptocurrencies aren’t used for the equivalent of old Swiss secret number bank accounts. You’ll be seeing a lot of work coming out very quickly.”
“Tether will apply Chainalysis’ “Know Your Transaction” tool for token issuers, allowing the stablecoin firm to monitor activity and ‘quickly understand the risk profile of each token holder.’
This solution allows us to ensure a secure compliance program that fosters trust with regulators, law enforcement agencies and users. This is achieved without sharing our user’s identifying information, as such data is only kept on our servers.”
“Opyn’s product will offer a hedge, what financial types call a “put option,” which will guarantee that users can recover most of their lost capital if Compound has a disaster. The advantage for insuring these deposits is guaranteed free money in exchange for staking ETH as collateral.
Compound has been stable since launching in late 2018, but no one disagrees that this world of DeFi is still tiny and hasn’t really been tested in the fires of true panic. If more serious investors are to start using Compound, they will want a way to hedge.“
“The team behind the project aims to eliminate ‘traditional artificial barriers such as national jurisdictions or the borders of a single country‘ when it comes to adjudicating disputes. Aragon Court uses a game theory method known as a Schelling Game in order to provide a subjective outcome to the dispute.
DAOs need to grow outside of their blockchain and machine-powered smart contracts. DAOs need subjective agreements. DAOs and their users need an equivalent of the legal system, but fully native to them.
Any person around the world can become a juror, upon condition that they possess at least 10,000 staked and activated ANJ tokens. Once a dispute is raised, the system singles out jurors to adjudicate it.”
“Forbes listed Axoni, Chainalysis, Coinbase, Everledger, MakerDao and Ripple amongst its top 50 fintech list for 2020.
A couple things all our Fintech 50 2020 picks have in common: they’re private companies with operations or customers in the U.S., and they’re making it easier, faster and cheaper to use financial services.”
Good explainer re the consensus mechanism for eth2: LMD-GHOST + Casper FFG.
“Poloniex, which was recently acquired by an investment group including Tron founder Justin Sun, has been forced to roll back trading activity after it introduced an error in its system.
Due to possible accounting errors arising from the bug it had to undo 12 minutes of platform activity, affecting trades between 17:53 UTC and 18:05 UTC on Monday.”